If you want to be a part of a vital service at the heart of your local community and you’d like to develop your skills, please consider volunteering for Citizens Advice.
Nationally, more than 22,000 volunteers give up their time to help people in Citizens Advice Bureaux, resulting in more than £100 million of volunteering hours.
A report by Citizens Advice nationally ‘CAB volunteering – how everyone benefits’ found that:-
- 9 in 10 volunteers reported an increased sense of purpose or self-esteem
- 4 in 5 volunteers believe that they have increased their employability
- 9 in 10 volunteers feel more engaged in their community
- 9 in 10 volunteers feel better equipped and empowered to deal with issues in their lives- with a further 4 in 5 also helping friends and family.
- 4 in 5 volunteers believe it has a positive effect on their health
You don't need any particular qualifications or experience to train as an advisor. You need to be:
- Good at listening
- Able to work in a team;
- Able to read and write English and do basic arithmetic
- Open-minded and non-judgmental
- Enjoy helping people
- Able to commit to at least two 4 hour sessions per week
We will train you and offer support during and after training.
These staff provide the initial10 min interview to diagnose the problem and assess the best option for the client.
Requirements as for adviser role, but this task involves less training.
- 2 sessions of 4 hours per week minimum.
Skills and requirements as above, plus telephone skills.
Skills and requirements:
- Able to talk easily and efficiently with the public
- Be polite and have an approachable manner
- Be able to handle difficult clients- be firm when necessary
- Be organised and capable of multi-tasking
- Be calm and unflappable
- Have good written English (essential for case recording, searching database etc)
- Good spoken English
- Have basic IT skills
- For reception only –1 x 4 hour session per week, but we would prefer more.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above roles please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have experience or skills that could contribute to the strategic management of Citizens Advice, please contact us to discuss further.